The Belgian Gaming Commission is responsible for regulating and controlling the online casino belgie world, both online and offline. They also serve as an advisory body vis-à-vis the government and parliament, which can vote the necessary laws on the basis of this advice. But what exactly does this mean and what does this gaming commission do exactly? We can split their tasks into 3 categories:
- Advising the government and parliament on casino-related matters so that they in turn can make laws. This can range from smoking in casinos and serving alcoholic beverages to restricting or expanding the operators.They also decide whether or not to grant the various types of licenses for gambling providers and games of chance. There are 3 different types of licenses (see below) and in order to obtain such a license, you have to meet a lot of conditions. The BKC will finally decide if you can obtain the license of your choice.
- Control of the games and the operators: The BKC will check if the operators comply with all the rules related to the obtained license and to the Belgian Laws of Chance. But also the games will be checked for their fairness, reliability and payout percentage. In this way, as a player you are always assured of a fair game and a correct payout percentage.
These are the 3 types of licenses for online gambling providers:
A+ license, better known as “Online Casinos”: See the full list
B+ license, better known as “Online Playgrounds”: View the complete list
FA+ license, better known as “Online Bookmakers”: See the complete list
Any “online” license must be associated with an “offline” license. In other words, each gambling site must be linked to a physical gambling facility of the same category. Thus, there can never be more gambling providers online than offline.
Are you going to offer games of chance without having the necessary license? Then you risk heavy fines from 100 euros to 100,000 euros (multiplied by surcharges).
Avoid illegal gambling sites!
As a player, it’s best to avoid such illegal casinos because you too can be heavily fined for this. It is your own responsibility to check whether the gambling site you are playing on has the necessary license from the Belgian Gaming Commission.
- It’s precisely for this reason that you will find here, on BelgischeCasinos.be, an overview of all legal gambling providers in Belgium!
- Players who break their boot can be fined from 26 euros up to 25,000 euros, multiplied by opdecrees! And it wouldn’t be the first time! In May 2015, for example, some 79 people were fined up to €200 for playing on illegal gambling sites.
- The Belgian Gaming Commission is trying to combat the proliferation of illegal gambling sites by expanding their “Black List”. Gambling sites that appear on this list are automatically blocked by your internet service provider. Since this list is regularly extended, we would like to refer you to the website of the Belgian Gaming Commission for a complete overview: Black List of the Belgian Gaming Commission.
- But unfortunately this list is only a drop on a hot plate. There are still a lot of unlicensed gaming providers available on the internet. So take a good look at our list of providers to make sure you’re taking a gamble on a legal website.
Protecting players and combating money laundering
One of the main tasks of the BKC is to protect the players. In the first place against fraudulent practices and unfair games, but also against the player himself. They will check and verify that each game gives you a fair chance and a minimum payout percentage is respected. Each game will also be limited by imposing a maximum hour loss.
- But some players also need to be protected from themselves and the commission considers this one of their most important responsibilities. Gambling games can lead to gambling addiction and major financial losses if you lose control of yourself. That’s why they feel it’s important to have the necessary tools available if a player needs help.
- For more information about help with gambling addiction, click here.
- In Belgium, a player may be denied access to real and virtual casinos, amusement arcades and bookmakers. You can exclude yourself if you feel that you are losing control, but you can also have someone else blocked if you notice that this person is in a downward spiral. In this second case, you need to be able to prove something and the procedure takes some time.